Sunday, August 7, 2016

Math Roles for Cooperative Groups

If you want an AMAZING book to read pick up Mathematical Mindsets. It really is one of the best, most inspiring books I have read lately. Jo Boaler talks about the mindset that teachers, parents, and students all have about math and how we can change those perceptions and experiences.  I was inspired!  I have a few ideas that I will be making resources to so that I can use them and hopefully many others.

Math should be engaging!  Math should be fun! Math should allow students to discuss with each other!  Using math roles can help make sure you are doing more cooperative work each week and allows your students to work together to discuss and explore with others.

I took some of her ideas for math roles for cooperative groups and added some ideas of what you should hear while they are talking as well as added some details to the responsibilities each person will have. I am so excited to use these in my class this year!  First you will need to divide your class up into groups of 4.


The first 4 pages are resources that you can hang up in your classroom as reference.
The Facilitator helps allow the teacher to be free to walk around, listen, and take notes of what she hears during their cooperative work.  


The fifth page is one that I cut out, will laminate, and will give to each student. This will be a reference for them to pull out as we use math groups each day.

These roles can change however often you would like them to.  I plan to rotate them weekly at first until they know what each role consists of and can do it well.  Then we will rotate daily so that they get to do each one each week.

I cannot wait to increase engagement, increase vocabulary, and encourage responsibility for themselves and their teams.  Help your students by letting them learn to facilitate themselves!


No comments:

Post a Comment